Online registration at www.cnhkeyleader.com is now open for the following 2018 Key Leader Camps:
- Camp Forest Home, Ojai, CA on May 4th-6th, 2018 (Central)
- Camp Cedar Glen, Julian, CA on October 19th-21st, 2018 (South)
Registration | Prices | Scholarships | Resources | FAQs
WHAT IS KEY LEADER?
Key Leader is a weekend experiential leadership program created by Kiwanis International. The program is designed for aspiring leaders for a process of personal leadership growth and development of self-confidence to better serve your home, school, and local community. The mission is to provide a life-changing experience that inspires young people to achieve their personal best through service leadership. From the large to small group workshops, to the team-building exercises, and to the discussions, individuals have the opportunity to learn about the five principles of service leadership: personal integrity, personal growth, respect, community building, and pursuit of excellence.
Student participants are placed into a neighborhood or a group of 8-10 members with a student facilitator, which is returning a Key Leader attendee who guides and mentors these individuals throughout the weekend, to become a better Key Leader. Placed into a neighborhood, attendees interact with the members within the group and learn and develop cooperative skills. Students have the opportunity to discover who they are, their capabilities, and unlock their endless potential. While exploring leadership in a whole new way, participants will make lifelong friendships, experiences, and gain beneficial skills that will help themselves and their surroundings. Beneficial skills include: stronger leadership abilities, better listening skills, the confidence to better face society, community building, teamwork, and responsible decision-making skills.The program is open to all students, ages 14-18 which includes promoting 8th graders, high school students, Key Club members, and non-Key Club members.
HOW DID KEY LEADER BEGIN?
Since 1925, Kiwanis International has empowered young leaders through its youth leadership organizations. In 2003, Kiwanis International assembled a task force of professionals with more than 175 years of experience in teaching, coaching, developing, and encouraging young leaders. Then, they were asked to design a program that ascends beyond where most other youth leadership programs stop. As a result, they developed Key Leader in April 2005.
- Student Participant, $250 (Key Club Members, $225)
- Student Facilitator, $175
- Adult/Chaperone, $115
*A late fee of $25 will be applied to any registration received within 7 days from the start of the selected camp.
HOW TO REGISTER?
- Navigate to www.key-leader.org and click the ‘Find Events’ tab
- Select ‘Date’ in the ‘Filter By’ tab (found on the bottom left)
- Select your desired camp (camps will be in order by date)
- Once you selected your desired camp, click ‘Register’ (found under the “Kiwanis Coordinated”)
- Choose your registration type: Student Participant, Student Facilitator, Adult/Chaperone
- Log in to the system: First-time user? Click on New User! Returning user? Log into your existing account!
- Confirm the participant name (i.e. you)
- Fill out and complete all required information and click ‘Continue.’ Review the payment information and click ‘Continue.’ If you have a scholarship code, please enter the code on this screen.
- Under ‘Payment Information,’ select your payment option
- Select payment method: e-check, credit card, or pay later and click ‘continue’
- You are all done with your registration! Make note of your confirmation number. All required camp forms will be sent to you.
CAN I APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP?
Yes! The CNH District has allocated $2,100 for Key Leader scholarships. That’s $35 scholarships available for the first 15 Key Club members per camp! The CNH Foundation is also providing $35 scholarships for the first 10 Key Club members per camp! When registering for a special discount, use the following codes:
*Both codes may be redeemed and receive a total of $70 scholarship. Tip: Before registering, reach out and check with your sponsoring Kiwanis or home club for possible scholarships!
Who can attend a Key Leader event?
Events are open to all students ages 14 to 18, including those currently in a Kiwanis student group such as Key Club and students who have not yet been a part of a Kiwanis family program. There is no limit on the number of participants from the same school.
What is the schedule for the weekend?
Students will arrive for registration from 4p.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday and depart after 11:30 a.m. on Sunday. All lodging, meals and activities are at the event site during that time. Check out the Key Leader sample weekend agenda.
What is a Student Facilitator and how do I apply?
Students who have previously attended a Key Leader event may take on a leadership role: Student Facilitator, which is a returning KeyLeader attendee. A Student Facilitator assist and guides members within a neighborhood group throughout the weekend, to become a better Key Leader. To apply, choose the registration option as student facilitator and fill out and complete the application.
*Note: All applications will be reviewed by Kiwanis International within 30 days of the camp event and applicants will be notified 2-4 weeks prior to the event of their acceptance status!